This Boing Boing post on YouTube’s terms of service as it pertains to any rights it reserves in the user’s submissions, illustrates a common pattern of how the blogosphere puzzles out contractual terms:
1. Alarmist Parade of Horribles (YouTube will own your stuff and sell it)
2. Amen Chorus in Comment Thread (Those thieving copyight-owning VC-funded MSM bastids)
3. The Inigo Montoya correction (Someone writes in to note that “I don’t think it means what you think it means”)
4. The Horse’s Mouth (YouTube spokesperson responds)
5. (Sometimes) Alarmist last word (they’re still thieving copyright-owning VC-funded MSM bastids).